We’re looking for a co-leader at our charcuterie house!
This is a great opportunity for a Lead Line Cook or a fresh Sous Chef to grow professionally.
The Sous helps to oversee all aspects of menu execution and BOH operations. This person is an autonomous employee who can provide leadership and accountability in the BOH, ensuring that dishes are executed correctly and that service is executed in a clean, efficient manner. The ideal candidate is interested in providing unparalleled customer service, hands-on, systems-oriented, outgoing, and comfortable helping to lead a team.
Night and weekend availability is a must. We offer great benefits including health insurance, paid vacation, employee assistance program, 401(k), free shares of product, and dining discounts at sister establishments.
- Prepare and cook dishes according to the recipe, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints
- Supervise staff; coordinate with all staff to ensure that communication flow is sufficient to exceed expectations in terms of quality and service
- Standardize and maintain food inventory for daily service: ordering, turning, storing, and labeling
- Coordinate training activities for the kitchen, including the identification and analysis of training needs and the design and implementation of programs to address these deficiencies
- Maintain periodic and regular inspections of units to observe the quality of food preparation and service; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment and employee appearance
- Prepare operational reports and analyses setting forth progress, cost controls, and adverse trends
This position helps to manage all employees of the BOH department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department in conjunction with the Culinary Director and the Operational Director.
- Communication: English and Spanish are spoken regularly
- Leadership: motivating a team, ensuring timeliness, and maintaining process controls
- Presentation skills: a vision for excellence
- Strategic thinking: improve flow and quality in operating procedures
- Business acumen: budgets, marketing, and providing stellar customer service
The work environment can be loud and busy. There are many kitchen hazards such as hot surfaces and liquids, sharp knives, and slippery floors.
The employee is required to stand for long periods as well as walk, bend and stoop. The position requires working taste buds, ability to smell, feel with fingers and visually inspect, including close and distance vision. The position requires the ability to use arms, hands and manipulate fingers to reach, stir, measure, pour, cut, chop, dice, decorate, etc.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This a full-time position. It will regularly require long hours and weekend work.
Required Education and Experience
- Three years of progressive experience in high-volume food production or catering, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
- Prior experience as a Lead Line Cook or equivalent
- Prior experience training, purchasing and managing budgets
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree with a major concentration in food preparation, management, nutrition or a related field
If you’re the perfect fit, please reach out with a short letter explaining why and your updated resume.
Eric Joppie, Culinary Director: firstname.lastname@example.orgTaylro Janes, Human Resources: email@example.com