Full Job Description
As Oregon’s first USDA-approved salumeria, Olympia Provisions was established in 2009 with the vision of the relentless pursuit of mastery in the craft of charcuterie with deeply rooted in rich traditions from the old world. From production to customer service, we are a passionate group of individuals obsessed with quality. We are currently seeking team members who are passionate about food, enjoy a solution-oriented approach, make safety a daily priority, and enjoy being part of a dynamic team that embraces tradition.
We have current openings in our Quality & Control department at our Southeast meat processing facility.
The Quality and Control Technician I is responsible for monitoring our quality and precision-oriented cooking processes of our award-winning salami, cured meats, and sausage, which includes steaming, smoking, and/or fermenting. You will be a key player who will champion compliance and will help us educate and promote all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards by following established food production processes and procedures.
We are recruiting for two positions. The required schedule for this position will 1:00 PM - 9:30 PM Wednesday through Sunday or 6:00 am - 2:30 PM Wednesday through Sunday.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Aid in ensuring federal and state compliance with all USDA and company Food Safety and QA policies and procedures. Responsible for assigned locations where mandatory information is maintained pursuant to company policies and procedures.Coordinating with plant personnel, USDA, and sanitation personnel to comply with quality programs
- Work with salami in the incubator, clipping, and spacing moving to the dry box
- Assist in educating plant personnel in recommended QA/QC workflows to minimize product waste; confirm these procedures are being maintained and monitor improvement
- Monitor and record checkpoints and work alongside department manager to improve overall efficiency and product yields
- Perform weekly calibration checks on equipment; provide reports
- Perform pH and water activity testing
- Auditing, documenting, and enforcing USDA and facility regulations
- Work closely with operations and support departments to ensure the production of a wholesome product that meets quality specifications
- Respond to questions regarding the understanding, interpretation of product specifications and food safety and quality assurance policies and procedures
- Assist in communicating work and performance expectations to employees; provide guidance, instructions, and feedback
- Develop a collaborative relationship with all department
Knowledge, Skills, and Ability Requirements:
- 1-3 years experience in the meat industry, preferably in the pork industry
- Adhere to and enforce all safety and quality policies and procedures
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance Technologies and/or Knowledge of the meat industry
- Conflict resolution abilities and strong communication skills
- Experience working with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to maintain high expectations for self by demonstrating a dedication to the achievement of results.
- Demonstrated ability to function successfully in a fast-paced, changing work environment
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate throughout all levels of the organization.
- Solid problem solving, project management, multi-tasking, and prioritization skills.
- Detail-oriented, organized, reliable and resourceful.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within a team environment.
- In addition to the above: 1 + years experience as a food inspector or skills in the related field
- Previous experience with mentoring and/or training employees
- Bilingual English/Spanish highly preferred
- Benefit plan including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Discounted Trimet Pass
- Retirement Plan
- Dining discounts at all of our sister establishments
- Shift meal & beverage
- Product discounts
We've established many protocols to keep our staff and customers safe and healthy. We are looking for people who understand and appreciate the importance of social distancing, extra sanitation steps, and wearing face masks.
This job operates in a meat processing facility housed with equipment such as knives, grinders, bowl choppers, sausage stuffers, smokehouses, and tilt skillets. Temperatures range from freezing to ambient. This employee is frequently exposed to heat, steam, smoke, and noise. A large portion of the work is performed in the dry box with live mold spores circulating through ventilation: wearing a respirator is required.
The employee will be standing for the duration of the working shift. Occasionally required to sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, twist, repetitive hand motions, reach, bend, crouch, and/or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds with the help of lifting equipment, often in a cold, refrigerated environment.
To apply, please submit your resume to: email@example.com
Olympia Provisions is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and applicants. It is our policy that decisions involving people are made on the basis of job-related criteria, independent of an individual’s gender, race, color, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability for which reasonable accommodation is available, and any other status protected by law. This includes decisions involving hiring, job placement, transfer, promotion, compensation, benefits, training, and company-sponsored programs. Olympia Provisions maintains formal employment policies, available online and by request.